Cleaning colon tubes
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave
Advanced Member

422 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  04:59:16  Show Profile
I am buying my first colon tube and wonder what the best way to clean it is. For my enema bags and can and attachments I use a 10% bleach solution in hot water after a soapy rinse that seems to do the job. Would this suffice for the tube too?
My only connection (literally!) to a colon tube was when an aunt used one to give me an enema in the knee-chest position. It produced a truly high enema like I had never had before.
Dave

Carol45
Administrator

131 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  15:59:20  Show Profile
Hi Dave,
Check on the OHN site for Grapefruit Seed Extract. Kristina recommends it for the cleaning of enema bags and all enema equipment. You can soak your equipment in a sink with a diluted mixture of GSE and water. The directions are listed on the 'product' listing of GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract). Like Lisa said bleach or other chemicals might linger. I wouldn't want to use anything on my equipment that I wouldn't want in me.

Carol45
On the road to better health.
Go to Top of Page

Clint
Advanced Member

234 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  17:19:30  Show Profile
I use a 5 to 10% bleach solution mixed with water and always have. Kills living cells within the equipment and the bleach can't linger within the equipment because anything that doesn't get rinsed away when you rinse your equipment will break down before you use your equipment again. Ask any medical professional an/or study the properties of bleach. Actually, bleach is much better and safer than most other things you'd find in your grocery store. I never tried the grapefruit seed extract and I'm not familiar with its properties. Sorry for going against the doctrine here but I just had to speak up on this. If your equipment is porus, it's a different story in which case, you need to get new equipment.

Edited by - Clint on 05/15/2007 17:22:25
Go to Top of Page

John
Average Member

25 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  19:38:09  Show Profile
Dave:

Your aunt and my mother must have read the same book on how to give enemas! When I "graduated" to the 2 quart bag at age 9, I was introduced to the colon tube the same way - knee-chest, plenty of lube, slow insertion, and a full two quarts! Although it was a lot more embarrassing for a young boy to get an enema from Mom using her "feminine syringe", it really was much more comfortable than the bulb!

John
Go to Top of Page

Kristina
Administrator

408 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  20:09:23  Show Profile
This is an excellent disucssion folks. Thanks for posting on this issue of how to clean enema equipment.

Personally, I would never use bleach or any other toxic substance on my enema equipment and I always recommend people use non toxic alternatives.

Here are a few more points to add to the discussion against bleach:

The main ingredient in bleach is sodium hypochlorite (chlorine added to lye.) Chlorine is toxic as a skin irritant, and by inhalation. Workplace safety data sheets suggest that bleach may be a neurotoxin and cause liver damage. People with chemical sensitivities report adverse reactions to minute quantities of chlorine. Sodium hypochlorite readily combines with organic matter to form organochlorines which are highly toxic to aquatic life.

It is true that the amount of bleach that one is exposed to, by breathing it in, bringing the sodium hypochlorite into the skin through touching the bleach water mixture, or through possible enema equipment residue is minimal and that most people can deal with that level of exposure just fine. However, I prefer to not potentially add to my "chemical load" in this way, which, unfortunately, is being constantly added to by breathing the air, drinking the water, eating the food and more because bleach is a poison meaning that it does have an inherent ability to cause systemic damage to living organisms.

Also, when I was chemically sensitive, which I am not any longer, I could not tolerate being around any amount of bleach.

In good health,
Kristina Amelong, CNC,CT
Optimal Health Network
Go to Top of Page

Clayface
Advanced Member

225 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  21:33:12  Show Profile
Yes, thank you for clarifying what do do to clean equipment. I simply use a sink full of very warm water with a capful of Dr. Bronner's peppermint castille soap. Would that also do the trick?

~Clay~
Go to Top of Page

Dave
Advanced Member

422 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  04:56:04  Show Profile
It looks like I prompted a lively discussion, and that's good for the board - like a cool enema to wake things up, LOL.
I'll stick with just the soap and hot water for the tube, bag and can cleanse. You'll note I said I used the bleach solution as a secondary rinse to the soap solution.
As Kristina said on the chat, a client's use of Pine Sol to clean his equipment is a definite no-no!
John: Your mom had the right idea on the most effective enema in my opinion. I "graduated' to the irrigator can just before age 5 and from the diapering to the left side position at 7.
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Clint
Advanced Member

234 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  14:08:37  Show Profile
If you think grapefruit seed extract can kill mildew and other organisms, I'd gladly use it even though it's so expensive. Then I'll buy some and test it out on mildew, alge and mold to see for myself. I've had a mildew problem years ago and that's why I'm so paranoid about the cleanliness of my equipment.
Go to Top of Page

Dietrich
Average Member

27 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  03:16:03  Show Profile
I clean my red-rubber (12-inch) Ruesch-type colon tubes in tap water with a squirt of Ajax Antibacterial dish detergent. The used tube soaks for a while, say one hour, in a long and narrow plastic tray used only for this purpose, until I wipe, rinse, dry, and store the tube. Of course I also empty, clean, and dry the tube tray.
Dietrich
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Colon Health Forum © 2003-2007 Optimal Health Network Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000